List and Interactive Map of Archives in/about Nigeria
Scroll down for the interactive map
Please contact us to submit an entry
Physical archives in Northern Nigeria
- Digital Benin: Project that bring together photographs, oral histories and rich documentation material from collections worldwide to provide overview of the 3,000-5,000 objects and artworks looted in the Kingdom of Benin by British troops in 1897.
- Digital Nollywood: Ongoing digital project established to preserve the material history of the film medium in Nigeria, particularly Nollywood. It focuses on the preservation and exhibition of Nollywood film posters and accounts of the history of Nollywood.
- Fragments of History: Brazilian academic and artistic project focusing on life stories of Africans who endured slavery as part of their existence between the 15th and the 19th century. It is part of the UNESCO Slave Route Project and makes available data in an online database.
- New Maps Old Lagos: Web-based collection of cartographic narratives focusing on the history of Lagos, deploying archival evidence and urban fieldwork to plot the old city by finding its boundaries, its physical features, and plotting meaningful sites and sciences around Lagos Island.
- [Re:]Entanglements: Online website of the 'Museum Affordances' project that is re-engaging with the ethnographic archive - including objects, photographs, sounds recording, botanical specimens, published work and fieldnotes - assembled by the colonial anthropologist, N.W. Thomas, in Southern Nigeria and Sierra Leone between 1909 and 1915.
- Yoruba Names: Document project set up to ensure the transfer of language and cultural resources of Yoruba language into a publicly accessible online format, focusing on Yoruba names and their meaning.
Public history projects
- Abuja - National Archives of Nigeria
- Ilorin - National Archives of Nigeria
- Jos - National Archives of Nigeria
- Kaduna - Arewa House
- Kaduna - National Archives of Nigeria Zonal Office
- Maiduguri - National Archives of Nigeria
- Sokoto - National Archives of Nigeria
- Zaria - Yusufu Bala Usman Institute
Physical archives in South West Nigeria
- Abeokuta - National Archives of Nigeria
- Akure - National Archives of Nigeria
- Ibadan - French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA-Nigeria)
- Ibadan - Jadeas Trust Library
- Ibadan - Kenneth Dike Library
- Ibadan - National Archives of Nigeria Zonal Office
- Ibadan - Ogunsheye Foundation
- Ibadan - Oyo State Library Board
- Ibadan - University Archives and Records Services Project
- Ibadan - Tribune House
- Ibadan - Women's Research and Documentation Centre (WORDOC)
- Ife - Hezekiah Oluwasanmi Library
- Ife - Main Library, Obafemi Awolowo University
- Ikenne Remo - Sopolu Research Library
- Lagos - Centre for Black and African Arts and Civilization Archive
- Lagos - Lagos Court Archive
- Lagos (Magodo) - Lagos State Record and Archives Bureau (LASRAB)
- Lagos - National Archives of Nigeria
- Lagos - Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIAA)
- Lagos - Research and Bibliographic Department (Gandhi Library)
Physical archives in South East Nigeria
- Enugu - National Archives of Nigeria Zonal Office
- Benin City - National Archives of Nigeria
- Calabar - National Archives of Nigeria
- Owerri - National Archives of Nigeria
- Port Harcourt - National Archives of Nigeria